I didn’t meet and become best friends with Robert DeNiro, but I think my top 7 moments of the Tribeca Film Festival with a whole gaggle of my closest friends far surpassed the original list I went in to New York with:
1. Met my documentary-making idol. I of course tried to play it cool (hence the leather jacket), but honestly I think the world of Morgan Spurlock and I can tell you that meeting him in person only increased my love for him.
2. Became a Brony. Well, I may not officially be a Brony, but I gave it my all:
3. KILLED IT at eating a No. 7 Sub. Little did I know there is one in Manhattan attached to the Ace Hotel. Didn’t even have to go to Greenpoint!
4. Interviewed on the red carpet. I wish I could tell you I was saying something brilliant in this moment that required such animated use of my hands, but really I was just holding up a button.
5. Saw a fascinating doc (besides the one I worked on): Dior and I. If you get the chance to see it, GO.
6. Orchestrated a ridiculously fun photo booth, with the help of Oh Snap Smile!
7. Helped a friend’s dreams literally come true. Throughout the weekend we all joked that this premiere was basically Director Brent Hodge’s wedding (with his beautiful bride A Brony Tale), but in all seriousness, by far the best part of the entire Tribeca experience was seeing Hodge share his baby with the world. Hodge’s drive and enthusiasm are contagious. He never stops hustlaaaaaing, and is easily one of the biggest dreamers I know. But at the end of the day his endless hard work is making those dreams a reality, and I love getting to stand next to him and jokingly ask him “what do you do when all your dreams come true?”, and we both just reply sarcastically, yet also somewhat seriously, “DREAM BIGGER.”
And the success of A Brony Tale just keeps coming! Sunday May 11 it will have it’s Canadian premiere as the closing film of the DOXA film festival. If you are in Vancouver be sure to buy a ticket to the 7 pm showing at the Playhouse as I promise there will be more friendship and magic!
[Top image of post by Marcus Jolly]